Case Study - Public News
Industry: Information and Media
Aim: To design a website that has multimedia features to display the current affairs and information about the hot topics. The site should contain features that would help people to surf through important news and also news related to their interests.
Background: Our client approached us with the concept of launching a website with multimedia features so that they could tell news stories to their website visitors with more than just text. The client wanted an extended coverage of their services, moving ahead of the blog format. We had to integrate a comprehensive Content Management System into the website to enable full management of the site by the client. The requirement was of a website design with unlimited number of feature categories like top stories section, breaking news section, advance search option, photo gallery, video uploads etc.
Objectives: Some of the objectives our development team had to accomplish were:
- Design a CMS allowing the site administrator to manage the site themselves
- Design a website with wide range of custom modules like top stories section, breaking news section, advance search option, photo gallery, video uploading services etc.
- A significantly large number of concurrent surfers should be handled. This was critical while breaking important news
- Interactive website design offering extensive usability and functionality
Solution: Analyzing our client's needs and specifications, we designed a custom news portal with enhanced multimedia features and table less css layout for quick loading. The system design is feature rich with custom modules like top stories section, breaking news section, advance search option, photo gallery, video uploading services etc. and offers enhanced usability and functionality to the site visitors. The website designed by us has an easy-to-use admin panel. Majority of site can be managed from the admin section provided in content management system. A person having basic knowledge of Microsoft office can also manage the site very efficiently.
PHP and MySql on the server-side
Features: The design and theme of the website has a wide range of custom modules. Some of its features are mentioned below :
- Content Management System:
- Content Management system allows the site administrator to manage the site themselves.
- Majority of site can be managed from the admin section provided in content management system.
- Unlimited category tree system for adding news stories and special features
- Top & Bottom Menu can be controlled from the admin section
- Top Stories Section - Features the hottest news articles in this module.
- Breaking News - This column on the website features the breaking news section revealing the top most news to the site visitors.
- Site Search – The site search module allows the users to search inside the categories. For example – search for Hollywood news for 2009.
- Advertisement - Advertisement module can be controlled from admin section and display flash and static images, adding onto the revenue of the client.
- Photo Gallery – Photo gallery can be managed by admin section and can be categorize into different sections like on sport section photo gallery related to sport will be displayed.
- Video - Video can be uploaded in news stories, interviews, photo gallery & advertisement. For example, in Food & Drinks section, video related to f&b will be displayed. Video can be embedded from You Tube or uploaded as flv.
- Quiz – The admin section can set up a quiz under this module and can also view the participants from the admin section.
- Polls – Daily polls can be set up and results of previous polls displayed graphically.